Tuesday, December 12, 2006

See you Friday!

Coach Carchietta will be MIA until Friday. I have not decided where I will be Friday night. I would love to be at Chatham/Randolph at 5:45 at Mennen, but it is also opening night of basketball. We’ll leave it up to a last minute choice. You can check bak in Friday morning, I'll be off until then.


Saturday, I will be at the HP tourn all day. You will get live updates after each round.


I received a handful of emails and phone calls about the weight certification process. I also spoke with a few past and present college wrestlers, some AD’s and few other “secret” people. Here’s my take on it.


I like the idea of weight certification. It is a very complex issue and one that will be exploited. Some High School Coaches and Athletes, unethically, will use any advantage to help themselves and their best interest, even if it is a violation. This is a shame and leaves a deep pain in my stomach.


First off, the process: After much research and inquiry, and much to my disbelief; the system can be bent or cheated. Some people may be in favor in stricter testing, some may say it’s a waste of time, but the idea is correct. I strongly feel that a wrestler with 9% body fat weighing 120 and 5’-4” is a different body type than the kid who is 6-1, 190 with 9% fat. Although the formula has been scientifically developed, the body type of this generic situation allows for the shorter/lighter kid to loose more weight in a healthy manner. Yet, they are held to the same 1.5% a week. - Basically 2 pounds a week. Is this wrong? It’s a very fine line.


Secondly, the Schools/NJSIAA need to invest in cups that have the temperature line. Any altered urine will be easily spotted.


Third, Coaches should not be allowed to hold their kids off. Not letting your kid try on the set date should result in a violation. Rules are being bent, and although unethical, not illegal.


Retakes & Appeals: So you failed, you know have an advantage – retake 2 days later. You can now, for the small fee of $5, have 2 extra days to hydrate and lose more weight.


How about this? Where does it say you can only be tested once? You test at 8:30 a.m.; you do not get the weight/body fat you want. Why can’t you weigh in later that day? I have only found information on appealing (which, basically you cannot).


Next year – I strongly suggest that they combine districts, bring in NJSIAA officials and test the groups together.


The input: The system was tough. It did not flow as any entry sheet – It took about 1 minute per kid. And remember that I am an expert with the number pad. Then, checking to make sure that the weights were ok, took a lot of time too.


I hope kids did not get cheated. I really do. But as one genius Superintendent from my past once said: “Life isn’t fair.” He said this in response to an ice hockey player actually lying about a on ice incident (all caught on film) and an A.D. (who still works in the field – just not in Morris County) not punishing the kid who fought. It was all on film – just so you know!

No comments: