Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Now I'll ramble ...

I know that’s it been quiet here in the MorrisCountyVarsity.net newsroom the past two days. The Coach has not only been a little under the weather, but he’s busy finishing a paper and studying for a test for Grad School. Actually, I am here at Grad school and I will not be able to work the clock for the Hanover Park Girls Basketball game tonight! You have no idea how much that hurts. Hopefully they’ll win and that’ll give us one more home game vs. the winner of Mtn. Lakes and West Essex.

Hopefully it will not get too quiet. If you have any stories that you feel may have beenover looked this past season, shoot me an email. They'll be a month of down time starting next week.

There’s been a lot of buzz about the Shabazz violation and subsequent penalty. I have really kept my mouth shut about the issue, but here’s my two cents: First, I never thought that the NJSIAA would be bold enough to enforce the rules appropriately. But, they did. Any rules violation should be handled in this matter. Remember, it was not Shabazz, themselves, that turned themselves in … it was someone else. Right there, that screams out that there’s a lack of interest in following the rules. Violations can happen, but the NJSIAA has always been open to schools turning themselves in. Shabazz made no attempt. The coach’s comments in the paper were just as bad. Any coach that is not cognizant of the rules needs to sit down and learn them, more so when you are a high profile school such as Shabazz. People love to knock down #1, even people in your own school, even your own parents, so know what you are doing. Everyone now sees the punishment.

As a softball coach, there have been many years where the regular season is over and we (teams that have a week off because the NJSIAA ignorantly thinks softball should be on the same schedule as baseball) have searched for “pick up” games. The first thing ANY COACH looks at is the 25-game maximum. I can not tell how many times a coach has said to me, “give me five minutes, let me look at our results to make sure that we are under 25 games.”

I am just wondering what the punishment would have been if Shabazz was diligent enough to turn themselves in?

Don’t think that AD’s and coaches are immune to mess-ups. Morris Catholic Wrestlers were not able to wrestle in the Morris County Tournament. I really felt bad for kids. Morris Catholic had two matches on consecutive days before the MCT. By NJSIAA rules, all wrestlers would be allowed one extra pound per consecutive day. Morris Catholic did the right thing by withdrawing from the tournament, as not to take away from the integrity of the tournament.

I am proud of the NJSIAA for enforcing the rules. I am very, very upset for the kids that cannot complete their season because adults feel that the rules are not important. I hope that the NJSIAA will also consider looking deeper into illegal recruiting and pre-season practice violations. People need to remember that the NJSIAA’s only eyes are yours. You need proof to open up an argument or present an accusation. I for one have nothing against private school running camps to allow kids to see their venue. I do have a problem with a coach opening calling a kid at home. Going to weekend football games and asking about a kid – do not tell its not being done – don’t waste your breathe. There are some great coaches in the private school ranks, most I respect and will gladly encourage you to learn from, but others are too eager to pad their teams by bending the rules knowing full well that the NJSIAA, you and I will have a hard time proving anything.

Rules are not made to be broken. Rules are simply in place to assure an even playing field. I wonder if I went around to the batting cages the past two months, how many familiar faces I would have seen? How many volunteer assistants running captain’s practices? Do not tell me it does not happen.

Ok, there’s tons to vent about, but what it simply comes down to is this, just follow the rules. Do not attempt to bend them. The more successful you are, the more people are looking for ways to bring you down. The kids are the ones that suffer.
** Paid Advertisement below **

A little bit of a side note, below, I have listed a few links that you may want to go to. There’s a ton of financial stuff that should interest you. The most important aspect of the site is the loans. So, go head and check out their loans and all their options.
Now that I have gooten all that of my chest, it's time to watch some college hoops!


No comments: