Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Bonds makes history

Barry Bonds is the new all-time home run king. I remember when Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa were battling it out to break the long standing single season home run record. At the time, I assumed they were juiced up in one way or another. I remember the excitement, the love and fanaticism brought back to the game of baseball by McGuire and Sosa – and Griffey when he wasn’t hurt. Most importantly I remember other players on opposing teams rooting for those two mad bombers. When McGuire hit the home run, the members of the opposing team where congratulating the McGuire. The one thing I will always remember about Bonds’ HR, was the look – or complete lack of interest – expressed on the opposing bench, on the players on the field and most of all, the quick, hard look from the catcher as Bonds approached the plate.

As a kid, as a player and as a coach, I will always cherish one special phrase: “For the love of the game.”


No comments: