Sunday, September 30, 2007

Swami & The Coach down!


The Coach and The Swami are trying to keep their chins up. That’s a common quote given to kids after they get their butts whooped, right? I got pummeled on West Morris, Whippany Park and – of course – Morris Hills. A 3-3 week for both of us.

I thought my East Orange was brilliant. The way The Swami loves to bust my chops about Hazelnut coffee, which I hate by the way, just cracks me up. Chalk another one up for the public schools.

Ok, let’s talk bout the West Essex Scarlet Knight’s complete domination over the Morris Hills Scarlet Knights. I’d like to start off with this – I am a self-admitted fair weather friend. Yep, it’s all about what’s hot and where the story is. Being a proud Morris Hills football alum, I was right up their on the band wagon. I loved walking up the hill towards Gifford only to be greeted by 700+ Scarlet Knight fans. I was shocked to see the West Essex side – which has ample seating for visiting bleachers, was not even half full. I think their band was the majority of the fan base. And who missed it, probably missed one of the most powerful regular season games by a West Essex team. Anthony Hayek was a “man amongst boys” in the first half. It looked as if Morris Hills was actually fearful of banging heads with the senior fullback. The Wessex line was man handling Hills and Hayek went untouched for 7-10 yards on more than a few carries. 198 yards in the first half was the damage. One Hills fan actually popped his head in the booth and asked, “What’s the West Essex school record for most yards in a game?” None of us knew, but agreed, we’d be seeing it shortly. Hayek finished with 235 yards. Just an FYI: that Morris Hills record is held by Dave Young, who rushed for 272 yards and 5 touchdowns in the final game of his junior year against none other than West Essex. That was one of the most fun games that I have ever played in. But, back to the game and my pick. West Essex never gave Morris Hills a chance to get in a rhythm, connect on a pass or jump to a lead. The managed the ball in an extremely efficient manner, after the first 2 scoring drives that were 4-plays each. In summary, I was way off. I was a bit heart broken. But very happy that I was witness to monstrous effort, on both side of the ball from Hayek.

The West Morris 21-0 loss surprised me. Again, Livingston is another team that I have not seen. Apparently, they are better than many of us in Morris have thought, especially defensively.

The Randolph pick was very difficult. The rivalry; The Records; Both teams desperate need for a win. Although I predicted a shoot-out, not a clashing defensive battle settled by an NFL-length winning field goal. That’s great stuff – you seriously need to love when the hero is someone that no one thought it would be! Well done Mike McKean!

A few things you need know about:

1) I was happy to note my reaction to the announcers I have seen on Joe Hofmann’s blog. Friday, the new guys at Morris Hills were outstanding! Announcer Gene Melvin and spotter Mike Moncalieri know the game; we’re very fair to both teams, which I can see would not be easy when you’re 3-0 is being dominated. These guys even thanked me on the mic, ok … they thank everyone. At one point, I think they thanked the Mayor of Rockaway and Wharton. I swear I heard them thank Kyle Door and all the past Wharton Fire Chiefs.

2) Morris Knolls: Greatest teamwork I have ever seen. Knolls has had the same announcer since the Benfatti days, but great became better when they employeed a spotter on the field – yes on the field – and in the booth. On the field … How? They had those ear piece walkie-talkies and were in constant conversation. Again, making my life easier!

3) Making my life easier – Do you remember me explaining how great the guys at the Par Hills booth are? I walk in, they are already working – yet – stop and hand me a fantastic, 1st rate program and a roster that has pronunciations on it. Someone has to explain to these parents that the media – especially guys like me – should really get a roster so that I CAN GIVE THEIR KIDS PRESS! (3a) I’ll start with the not-so-bad: at Knolls, I ask for roster for a media guy. The gentleman is nice and it was only $2. The four page program was not going to break me and the guy said to me – “It’s all goes back to the kids.” He was right, although I was already worked up from the night before.

(3b) I walk up to Gifford and get to the little table where they are selling programs and rosters. I can’t wait to see the MCHSS.net booster ad in the great looking Morris Hills program. So, I ask for rosters. I explain I am with the Media and that I have an in the program. Again, that means nothing. I had a $10-bill and was ready to give it all – as another donation, but decide to simply pay for the program – with my cool ad on page 80 and just walk up the hill and prepare to get the kids some press.

(3c) Call me cheap, but if I spend $5 twice a week for 11 weeks, that is $110 that I could have used towards buying a new video camera or lens so that I give better coverage TO THE KIDS.

(3d) Please – someone … tell these people that a roster should be given to the media. The program, ok, I can see why they’d want money. But, if the roster is in the program, well … do the right thing!


What Happened to Hofmann?

Where was Joe on Friday & why was he on crutches Saturday at Knolls? Here's how it went down. I had just walked away from by roster ordeal and started my up to Gifford Field, the House that Verdun built. I hear my name and it's "Jolting" Joe Hofmann aka "Joey the Hoff." He says, "Hey Vin .. did you get your free roster and program back at the table?" I just smile and start walking up. We pass the home Knights walking down, we nod to Sabo and the other coaches and wish them luck. As we get towards that turn by the pine trees, someone jumps out of the woods in full camouflage, a Ronald Regan Halloween mask and a red bandanna. This wacko kicks me in the bells, and I go drop like bag of potatoes. He then karate kicks Joe in the knee and Joe also drops. As he runs towards Tice house and hops the fence, the guys screams out … “In Sabo we trust.” Believe or NOT!

Back to the prognosticators:

1) I'm about to the ruin the morning for all those ledger bashers -- Sean Reilly at the Ledger picked Morristown over Knolls 14-13. The Ledger Football genius also had Randolph by 3 ... He is the man!

============

2) Here’s another guy – who I have no idea who he is and annoyed me a bit when he berated me for going against Mo-Beard a few weeks. Although … he has impressively picked a few upsets and key wins. An impressive 4-1 week must be noted by the humble coach … although I picked Knolls knocking off SHP long before anyone else. I think him and myself were the only two on the Knolls wagon – Here’s his stuff:

1297. Some Morris County Picks

ok. i was only 2-3 last week, but one of my wins was picking morris knolls over top 20 ranked seton hall prep. 2nd week in a row i had a big upset special. i had mount olive over randolph the 2 weeks ago.

here are a few for this week:

Mountain Lakes ove Boonton, big. there is no way possible that boonton can keep this game close. tripuka and company have way too much for boonton. boonton doeas have a good RB in brooks, but he will be smothered in this game. ML 42-18

Morristown over Morris Knolls (upset special #1) i am calling it an upset because MK is coming off the huge win and is back at home this week. but i think morristown has too many weapons, most notably QB colvin. it will be close. Morristown on top. 21-20

Randolph over Roxbury. roxbury is kind of hurting without beal. they are young and randolph is in need of a win at home. big rivalry game is always a close one. randolph. 19-12

Kinnelon over Morris Catholic. lets do the math. kinnelon shut out boonton 21-0. boonton beat morris catholic last week. so kinnelon wins this one. easy enough. kinnelon. 25-13

Morristown-Beard over Newark Academy. close. beard has WR larmond. newark academy does not. that should be enough for a MB team that will even its record at home after getting the destroyed last 2 weeks. MB 26-18

West Essex over Morris Hills. (upset special #2) battle of the knights goes to west essex. anthony hayek will lead west essex to this road victory. dont worry MH. you will see them again in the playoffs. WE 20-19




No comments: