Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Wrestling Top 10

You maybe reading this because my good friend Joe Hofmann has directed you here. If you read his: Best of the Tournament Season. Click the links below to view the following:

Morris County H.S. Sports’ Wrestling Page

I do thank Joe for mentioning my blog and I will be the first to admit that I was not happy leaving the Parsippany Tournament early, but in my defense, it was for the Rutgers’ Bowl game!!

I was also happy to see that Joe had me ranked as the #2 best announcer, one year after he ripped me apart for mispronouncing the names of a few state contenders from Rahway. (no, not Wilson). So, at least I am moving up. But how did Joe forget the announcer from the Lenape Valley Tournament. He was very good and us PA announcers know, when it comes time for the finals we always seem to be left high and dry and working the clock, announcing the next match and announcing the top three finishers from the prior match!

Does anyone know the real team scores from the Parsippany Christmas tournament? The Star Ledger did not post them (as far as I could find) and the Daily Record posted scores before the 3rd place matches.

In defense of other local tournaments, Roselle Park only had 8 teams and Madison only entered 8 wrestlers; The Hanover tournament went non-stop from 9 am to the finals with only a ten-minute break to move the mats. The Parsippany Tournament was right on the schedule printed on their free program (actually, they started the finals early).

I have to revamp my wrestling top 10. It is very difficult to tell who will be the best dual meet team, and that is how I will rank the Morris Teams, by dual meet. Tournaments are great, and I do love the tournament concept, but dual meets come down to coaching, match ups and a wrestler knowing what he needs to do (or not do) so that the team can win. Coaching comes into play in major way during dual meets. Just ask Boise St. how important coaching, believing in what your coach teaches you and executing what your coach instructs you to do, is! I wonder how much the Jets believe in Mangini? Do not be surprised when the Jets win Sunday. And the Giants falling from their great start? When you believe in your coach and your teammates, any thing is possible … I hope they believe!

Back from my tangent:
My top 10 for Morris County – I have to switch in Morris Knolls for Pequannock. I do not know how I left them out.

1. Mt. Olive (Randolph-Wed; WMC & Montville-Sat)
2. Randolph (Mt. Olive-Wed; North Warren Duals-Sat)
3. Roxbury (WMC-Wed; Kinnelon, Pompton Lakes & Hopatcong-Sat)
4. Jefferson (Vernon-Wed; Hopatcong-Fri; Knolls, St. Peters, Passaic Valley-Sat)
5. Madison (Orange; Newark Acad. Tourn – Sat)
6. Mendham (Chatham-Wed; Brick, Toms River, St. Mary's)
7. West Morris (Roxbury-Wed; Mt. Olive-Sat)
8. Morris Knolls (Livingston-Wed; Jefferson, Passaic Valley, St. Peters-Sat)
9. Hanover Park (Par Hills-Wed; no meet Saturday?)
10. Kinnelon (Mt. Lakes-Wed; Roxbury, Pompton Lakes & Hopatcong-Sat)

Maybe Knolls and West Morris should be switched, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

www.NJlineup.com has added tournament results! You can almost any informational results you need from this site now. I just wish more coaches could email their results/brackets to these people so that we could be more informed. The Phillipsburg Wrestling site is filled with great wrestling stuff, too. http://www.enter.net/~jkopesky/

I just checked my web site’s referrer site count, that is, where people came from to view my site. Here are the top 5:

1) www.njo.com/forums/hshockey 23.8%

2) www.njo.com/forums/hswrestling 18.4%

3) Google adsense 10.4%

4) www.njo.com/forums/hswrestlingn 10.0%

5) www.morriscountyvarsity.net 5.1%

If you put together the wrestling forums, the amounts are very, very close. This is the site only. The Blog is on a different counter.

No comments: